Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Stuff I Think is Cool - Peg People and The Guild

Now for another episode of "Random Sh*t I Think is Awesome"...

Just when you thought you were too old to play with action-figures and dolls, you stumble across a shop like Randomly Generated. Shop owner and Scotland resident, Jen, paints each peg person with a steady hand and a sharp eye for detail.

Despite the fact that they don't have any discernible facial features other than their button eyes (and maybe some facial hair, as in the case below), there is no doubt who the Peg People are.

One Ring to rule them all...

You have to be flying your geek flag high to appreciate the fact that she re-creates not only entire casts of popular films and television series, but also those only appreciated by true geekdom connoisseurs. 

Now I don't have to be sad that Firefly was cancelled. I have the entire crew of Serenity on my desk! From left to right: Mal, Inara, Wash, Zoe, Jayne, Kaylee, Simon, River and Shepherd

I saved the best for last...

It's the Who's Who of  Dr. Who. All the actors who have portrayed the many regenerations of Dr. Who are represented: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant (my personal fave) and Matt Smith.

I may send Jen a special request for Peg People versions of the members of the web series, The Guild. Which, thanks to that brilliant segue, brings me to the second item on my Random Sh*t I Think is Awesome List - each and every webisode of The Guild.


If you are a geek, nerd, Trekker, Star Wars fan, Comic-con attendee, casual/hardcore/true/role-playing gamer, or just someone who can appreciate scimitar-sharp wit and cutting humor produced with a no-name cast and a so-small-as-to-be-non-existent budget, then you will love "The Guild".  The premise: The RPG members of an online guild, The Knights of Good, meet each other in person for the first time in the harsh light of day, sans their avatars. Hilarity ensues.

Watch them in order to see the gang evolve from shut-ins and loners into friends and frenemies. You can catch all the webisodes on The Guild website and YouTube. I prefer getting them on Netflix because the extras are just as entertaining as the webisodes. Not to mention there are a couple of brilliant music videos included, (Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar and Game On. I found myself humming the tunes for days after.

Felicia Day is one of the unrecognized (but not for long) genius comediennes of our time. She is my hero. Game on, Codex!

4 comments:

  1. Those Peg People are awesome! David Tennant is my favorite Doctor, too! And I haven't checked out The Guild yet, but I'm going to put it in my Netflix queue right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost put "This one is for you, Andrea", because I knew that you would certainly be able to appreciate the Dr. Whos. David Tennent is the future ex-Mr.HollyHusband. He just doesn't know it yet.

    There is just no explaining how funny The Guild is. It's one of those things you just have to experience for yourself to appreciate fully. You and Jeremy should be prepared to laugh and laugh and laugh until you cry and pee a little.

    And, BONUS!, because in Season 2 Will Wheaton is the leader of their rival guild, the Axis of Anarchy. AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I can get on my Netflix account again I will be sure to add the Guild. It is one of those shows I've been meaning to watch for like 3 years now and just haven't gotten around to it.
    But you know what Holly, I pulled out Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long blog to loan to you back when you were at my house for bookclub and I forgot to have you take it with you that night and it has been sitting by my door ever since! I'll bring it next weekend I promise because it is awesome and you will love it!
    I have the soundtrack I can totally loan you if you love the music once you have seen it.
    Also, those peg people are awesome! I would totally get the pegs for Simon and Kaylee from Firefly because they were my favorites...oh, and Zoe and Wash they were an awesome couple...and Mal, I mean he was so funny...Maybe I should just get the whole cast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh these are cool. I saw some pegs when I was in a hobby store and had no idea what to do with them. Now I do :)

    re you question - No I don't use the book drawing lab a lot but I have gotten some ideas from it, my daughter(6) loves it and it is a really good to have thing which I know I will pick up sometime in the future again. Nope not been to any festivals in the US :(

    ReplyDelete