Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Review - Dissolution by C.J. Sansom



I enjoyed Dissolution, though it was darker than some of the historical mysteries I've read. By the end, I was profoundly grateful to be living in the Year of Our Lord 2011. I appreciate luxuries like regular bathing, warm clothing in the winter, fresh food, and beer free of chicken poop.

So often you find it's the little things (poop-free beer) that matter.

Fans of Brother Cadfael and Sister Fidelma could probably appreciate this well-researched and well-written book, though Dissolution takes place later in the historical timeline of the U.K. than either of the others. 

Toward the end I guessed who-dun-it. Or I thought I had. The author hid some devious twists and turns in the last few pages that I didn't anticipate. He was very tricksy. I like that quality in my mystery authors.

I will be picking up the next book in the Shardlake series, because I want to know how the character progresses after his disillusionment. In the end he was left at a crossroads of conscious, and I'm a little nervous for him. When you're close to the thunder rolling 'round the throne, it's safer if you don't have a conscious at all.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know Holly, beer with chick poop could be pretty tasty!

    I don't read a lot of mystery novels but I'm glad you liked this one. I'm picking a mystery for when I host in October but it is probably more on the light and fun side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - that sounds pretty good. I'll try and remember to check it out!

    ReplyDelete